Thursday, August 28, 2008

Fabric Softeners

Ah Em, I remember reading the 'white nights' blogs. Yep, it is white night city here. I always like to fall asleep with something in the background - thank goodness for snooze settings! It doesn't seem to stop the mind wondering at the moment. I will go back and read those entries in your blog for some hints and techniques.

Becky - fabric softners - I like it! I have completely adopted the washing machine analogy. I hope the originator won't mind - I am open where it came from at least! So, what are my fabric softeners? Novels, chocolate, nice baths are all the obvious ones. This is not the time in my life to deny myself little treats and luxuries, although this is the days of the credit crunch and I, like everyone else, have to keep to a budget. Thank God for charity shops. I picked up a lovely 'pick me up' top from the one down the road. Being Chelsea it is full of designer labels and clothes I would never even see in shops, let alone buy! Knitting is a big softener, especially with nice, luxerious wool. I have packed some chunky wooden needles, free with a magazine, a pattern for a shawl/scarf from the same mag and some multi coloured wool from the John Lewis sale into my transplant bag. Of course, I am lucy enough to have my faith and prayer is the biggest softener of them all.

Bookshops are a big fabric softner for me. I love them. Just being in them, the smell and the calmness. Unfortunately, it is not good for me to spend too much time in them as buying books seems to be the most easily justifyable way to spend money you don't have. Lately, I have been scouring book shops for books that will help me through the next few months and our transplant journey. Of course, there are not too many 'coping with your child's transplant' books out there! However, I think I have found the book I need. I was drawn to a hardback book in a vintage Ladybird style called 'The Book of Idle Pleasures' by Dan Kieran and Tom Hodgkinson. It is filled with 100 ideas of passing time with free and relaxing activities. Each double page is dedicated to one and has a whimsical little description and picture plate I am going to do one each day, some of them with the children and/or Paul and some alone. Today it was "reading Edward Lear out loud to children' I bought the Lear book at the same time as I found the page while flicking through in the shop. We did have some fun. William laughed and laughed at the alphabet rhymes. This will be something to repeat. I think Lear will have to come with us when we get that call. Speaking of which, we are on the list in an hour and a half from the time of writing this - so we are probably fully up and waiting when you come to read (apart, of course, from the few hours tomorrow afternoon when William will have to be deactivated almost as soon as activated as he will be in theatre getting his new hickman line).

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hiya, its 12.06 so I thought I would see how you are tonight and to say I hope the call comes soon.

I also hope the girls are ok and enjoyed Thorpe Park.

Lots of love

Viks/Post Pals

Roobarb said...

Hi Sarah!

Just caught up again with your blog.

I too really hope you get the call soon.

Thinking of you all

xxxx

Hoppers said...

Did you notice that all of this talk of washing products has encouraged the ads at the top of your blog to get all topical? As I look, there's an advert for Comfort fabric softener at the top of the screen. Frankly, I think it tastes foul. xxxx

Rebecca said...

Hi again,

Charity shops are excellent places for snapping up bargain books too!

I think books can be the most absorbing things, and most of the time, they can get me through anything, but I find that when I'm at my most stressed, I can't concentrate on a book. But it's at moments like those when your fingers can get restless and so I reckon knitting would be just the thing for that. I also like cross-stitching.

I think it's also useful to have a couple of phone numbers of friends/family who won't mind you calling any time for a chat or support when you're stressed or fearful, who would be happy to talk things through with you.

From my limited past experience of hospital stays (nothing compared to yours and William's), I found that certain nurses could become makeshift counsellors for a short time, and I also had the benefit of the CF psychologist who visited us in hospital sometimes.

And I think when you're stuck in hospital, being able to get on the internet stops you from being so isolated as well, you can still keep up with the outside world, to a point, and you don't feel so cut off from 'normality'.

You probably know all this already, so I'll stop waffling now, I was just trying to come up with new ideas for fabric softeners.

Fingers crossed for William for his op today.

Becky xxx

Anonymous said...

Hi, just to say that I'm thinking of you as William is now on the active list, and hoping that your wait won't be too long.

I too have a rather expensive addiction to bookshops, and an alarming number of fairly mind-numbing novels. The book shelf is bowing under the weight so I keep promising to get rid of some - if you'd like me to drop some off to you at your 'Chelsea pad' I'd be really happy to do that any time.

In the meantime, I do hope that your fabric softeners keep the rough edges of the journey a little softer for you. Take care,

Katie

Tinypoppet said...

The originator (C, whose dad needs a new heart) is very honoured you're using the phrase - she told me so :) Hopefully speak soon lovely Sarah, xxx

Anonymous said...

Managed to log on today. Hope you get out soon. Lots of love Mum and dad xxx